Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summers actually are for reality television


1995, the summer before 8th grade. Otherwise known as the summer I spent weeks at a time watching MTV, the year of Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill & TLC's "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls." Ahh, Buzz Clips. And the year I caught up on the first four seasons of the Real World.

Now I have about 16 years of reality television to catch up on, minus the many hours I spent in college watching Elimidate (it feels wrong to italicize that program, but I did it anyway). 

This summer has been the summer of Say Yes to the Dress, Teen Mom, and 16 & Pregnant. I see that Toddlers & Tiaras is on Netflix, too, so no doubt I'll explore that. Oh, look, I just pushed play.

And to make sure I remain high in your esteem: summers are also for reading. So far, I've read Edwidge Dandicatt's The Dew Breakers, Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, The Fug Girls' Spoiled, Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer, Morrison's Song of Solomon, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy, and two wedding books (Offbeat Bride & Miss Manners). I'm currently reading The Corrections, and I'm pretty sure I forgot a book or two. Granted, not highest of brows on display here, but summer is not about Tristram Shandy or Paradise Lost, though last summer certainly was.

No comments: